Designed by Sue Banker
Package the wedding party’s keepsakes in a special bag filled with understated charm. A natural linen rectangle, frayed and folded in half, stitches up quickly using jute twine running stitches along the sides.
Materials (for each bag):
- 6×18″ rectangle of natural linen
- Light blue jute twine
- Rubber stamp (such as a monogram or a pair of lovebirds)
- Black ink
- Short length of narrow ribbon
- Small gold rings
- 20″ length of 3⁄8“-wide jute ribbon
1. Fray edges of linen rectangle by gently pulling 10 fabric strands from each long edge (for an approximately ½” frayed edge) and approximately 6 fabric strands from each short edge (for an approximately ¼” frayed edge). Beginning approximately 11⁄2” from each short end, gently pull out approximately 25 fabric strands to expose two ¾”-wide bands of vertical strands (Diagram 1).
2. Fold linen rectangle in half, aligning top and side edges. Stitch each side edge with a piece of light blue jute twine and a running stitch. Knot twine ends at top of bag and bottom folded edge (Diagram 2).
3. Stamp desired motif onto bottom right-hand corner of bag front with black ink; let dry. Embellish stamped motif with ribbons, small gold rings, or other embellishments.
4. Weave a length of jute ribbon through vertical strands near top of bag. Tie ends into a bow on front of bag.