Designer: Kate Carter Frederick
Color plant markers using easy-to-make chalkboard paint.
- Outdoor paint (latex or acrylic) in desired colors
- Unsanded-grout powder
- Airtight container (optional)
- Wood plant markers
- Foam brush
- 150-grit sandpaper
- Chalk pencil
1. Mix 1⁄4 cup outdoor paint with 1 tablespoon unsanded-grout powder to make chalkboard paint. Store in an airtight container to keep from drying out.
2. Use a foam brush to paint one side of wood plant markers with paint; let dry. Paint other side of plant markers; let dry. Brush on a second coat of paint, and let dry 24 hours.
3. Lightly sand both sides of the plant markers. Brush on a third coat of paint; let dry. Sand lightly.
4. Prepare the writing surface of your plant markers by rubbing both sides of each marker with chalk, then wiping it off with a cloth. Write each plant name on the markers using a chalk pencil.