Designer: Halsey Bishop
Rescue shoebox lids from the recycling bin and transform them into painted chevron wall art.
- Assorted shoebox lids
- Newspaper or drop cloth
- White spray primer (such as Krylon Color Master Primer)
- Transfer paper
- Semigloss spray paint: white and desired colors (such as Krylon Indoor/Outdoor paint)
- Painter’s tape
- Chevron pattern
1. Working in a well-ventilated area, cover your work surface with newspaper or a drop cloth. Lay the shoebox lids on the surface, and spray the top and sides of each lid with primer; let dry.
2. Enlarge the pattern, onto white paper. Lay transfer paper over the primed shoebox lid and place the pattern on top. Using a pencil, trace the outlines of the chevrons to transfer the lines onto the top of the shoebox lid. If needed, reposition the pattern to make chevrons wider or to add rows of chevrons. Continue marking chevrons until entire shoebox lid is filled with a chevron pattern.
3. Place strips of painter’s tape in areas you wish to remain white.
4. Spray shoebox lid and sides with desired color of spray paint. Let dry. Peel off painter’s tape.