Adapted from an original design by Keiko Clark
Here’s a recipe for macaroon look-alikes that doesn’t require you to be a skilled pastry chef.
- 6×12″ rectangle solid pastel No. 1 (zipper tab, pocket)
- 2—6×12″ rectangles solid pastel No. 2 (outer case, lining)
- Heavy-duty template plastic
- Heavy paper
- Needle and thread
- 9″-long zipper: white
- Heavy-duty thread
- Download the pattern pieces here.
Finished size: 3″ diameter
Measurements include 1⁄4” seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Download the pattern pieces here.
From solid pastel No. 1, cut:
- 2 of Pattern C
- 11⁄2” square
From solid pastel No. 2, cut:
- 4 of Pattern A
From each template plastic and heavy paper, cut:
- 2 of Pattern B
Prepare Zipper Unit:
1. Using needle and thread, secure zipper tape ends 1⁄4” below teeth at zipper bottom with overlapping backstitches. Repeat stitching at opposite zipper end 1⁄4” from zipper stop.
2. To create the join between the case front and back, fold opposite edges of solid pastel No. 1 1⁄2” square under 3⁄8” to make a 3⁄4×11⁄2” folded unit. Open zipper slightly. Center folded unit on wrong side of zipper over joined zipper ends. Stitch folded edges of unit to zipper tape. Close zipper.
3. Turn zipper so zipper pull tab is on the outside. Snip 1⁄4” clips every 1⁄2” around the zipper tape on both sides.
Assemble Outer Case:
1. Sew gathering stitches close to outer edge of a solid pastel No. 2 A circle. Place circle right side down on a flat surface. Place a small handful of polyester fiberfill on wrong side of pastel circle. Layer plastic B circle on polyester fiberfill. Pull gathering thread around plastic circle (enclosing fiberfill) and secure thread ends to make a cover unit.
2. Position cover unit atop one side of zipper unit. Working from right side, whipstitch cover unit to zipper tape.
3. Using a solid pastel No. 2 A circle, repeat Step 1 to assemble a second cover unit. Position cover unit atop remaining side of zipper unit. Whipstitch cover unit to zipper tape as before to make outer case.
1. Turn under straight edge of solid pastel No. 1 C piece 1⁄2” twice. Topstitch along first fold to make pocket piece. Repeat to make a second pocket piece.
2. Center pocket piece, right side up, atop right side of a solid pastel No. 2 A circle; baste edges.
3. Center a paper B circle on wrong side of solid pastel No. 2 A circle. Sew gathering stitches close to outer edge of A circle. Place circle right side down on a flat surface. Pull gathering thread around paper circle and secure thread ends to make lining with pocket.
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 with remaining pocket piece, paper B circle, and solid pastel No. 2 A circle.
Open outer case. Center one lining piece on inside of case. Whipstitch lining to zipper tape. Repeat with remaining lining piece on other inside of case to complete case.