Designer: Melissa Mortensen
A gift bag that’s useful even after the gift is open? What a concept! This little elastic cinch bag is perfect for wrapping up jewelry, such as the cork pendant shown, and can later be clipped wherever you want to keep something safely stashed.
- 2—41⁄2×5″ rectangles of one print (outside)
- Water-soluble marking pen
- 2—41⁄2×5″ rectangles of second print (lining)
- 6″ length of ribbon
- Metal key ring with clip
- 10″ length of 1⁄4“-wide cotton elastic
* Sew with 1⁄4” seam allowances and right sides together.
Assemble the Gift Bag:
1. Using a water-soluble marking pen, mark 3⁄4” and 11⁄4” below the top edge of one 41⁄2×5″ outside rectangle. If using a key ring that does not unclip, thread the hook portion of the key ring onto the ribbon. Fold the ribbon in half and pin the ribbon ends together just above bottom mark (Diagram 1).
2. Place the two 41⁄2×5″ outside rectangles together with right sides facing and the key ring between the layers. Sew the sides and bottom, catching the ribbon ends in the seam. Clip bottom corners (Diagram 2) and turn right side out.
3. Place the two 41⁄2×5″ lining rectangles together with right sides facing. Using a water-soluble marking pen, mark 3⁄4” and 11⁄4” below the top edge. Sew the sides and bottom, leaving the area between the marks unstitched and a 2″ opening along one side. Clip bottom corners (Diagram 3).
4. Slip outside into lining with right sides together. Match seams; pin (Diagram 4).
5. Sew outside and lining together along the top edge. Turn right side out through opening; press.
6. Turn under the opening in the lining side and hand-sew it closed. Tuck the lining into the pouch and press. Topstitch around the top. Sew around the pouch on marked lines to make a casing (Diagram 5).
7. Insert elastic into hole in lining and feed through the casing. Holding elastic ends together at the seam opening, adjust the elastic so it is tight, but still loose enough to open and close the top of the bag. Sew the elastic ends together and insert the stitched ends into the casing. Hand-stitch the opening closed.