Designer: Sherri K. Falls
Update the look of cross-stitch with big, airy stitches on a plain hand towel.
- Ivory linen hand towel (the towel shown is 18 1⁄4×26 3⁄4“)
- Water-soluble marking pen
- 1″-wide orange gingham ribbon
- Embroidery floss: orange
- Embroidery needle
- Cross-stitch pattern
1. Using a water-soluble marking pen and an acrylic ruler, mark a line 11⁄2” from bottom edge of towel.
2. Trim ribbon so it is 11⁄2” longer than the width of the towel. Center and pin ribbon to the line, turning ribbon ends under so the folded edge is flush with edge of towel.
3. Topstitch ribbon to towel along top and bottom edges of ribbon.
4. Fold towel in half lengthwise and crease fold. Using cross-stitch pattern, trace cross-stitch design to center of towel, positioning tallest column of Xs along center crease and aligning bottom row of Xs above ribbon. Trace pattern using a water-soluble marking pen.
5. Using six strands of embroidery floss and a cross-stitch, stitch the design.
6. Lightly mist fabric with water to remove visible water-soluble marking pen lines.