Designer: Elizabeth Stumbo
You might be hard-pressed to find feathers as beautiful as these on a nature hike, but you can enjoy bright colors and interesting patterns anytime as embroidered wall art.
- 14×16″ piece of gray linen
- Water-soluble marking pen
- Embroidery hoop
- Embroidery floss: navy blue, dark coral, light coral, white, yellow, light blue
- Embroidery needle
- Foam-core board
- 8×10″ picture frame
- Light blue acrylic paint
- Foam paintbrush
- Embroidery pattern (download it here)
1. Using a light box or sunny window, trace embroidery pattern onto gray linen using a water-soluble marking pen.
2. Place linen in embroidery hoop, if desired, centering the fabric. Pull fabric taut; tighten screw.
3. Use six strands of embroidery floss for all stitches. Refer to the pattern to stitch the design. See our basic stitch instructions here.
4. Remove fabric from embroidery hoop. Using a warm iron and working on wrong side, press finished embroidery.
5. Cut foam-core board to fit opening of picture frame. Place embroidery right side down. Center foam-core board on top of embroidery. Trim embroidery 2″ beyond foam-core board edges. Fold embroidery toward back of board and tape in place, starting in center of each edge, then working out. At each corner, fold edges neatly toward the back and tape in place.
6. Paint picture frame with light blue acrylic paint; let dry. Insert embroidery in picture frame.