Designer: Sarah Wright
A timeless and endearing piece, this heartwarming mother-and-child sampler is destined to become an heirloom.
- 8-1⁄2×15″-wide oval wooden quilting hoop
- 15×21″ piece of white 100% cotton fabric
- DMC embroidery floss: #3821, #744, #3761, #807, #798, #304, #3806, #3713, #169, #168, #632, #436
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery pattern (download it here)
1. Using a light box or sunny window, lightly trace pattern onto white fabric using a sharp pencil. Place fabric in quilting hoop if desired, centering design inside opening. Pull fabric taut and tighten the screw.
2. Referring to color key on pattern for embroidery floss colors, complete solid lines using three strands of embroidery floss and a split stitch (including mother’s and child’s hair and faces, pillowcase, bunny ears, dress, loops on left-hand side of quilt, quilt edges, waves on right-hand side of quilt, and the word “blessed”). See our basic stitch instructions here.
3. Referring to color key for stitch motifs and stitches, stitch corresponding motifs on quilt in colors indicated.
4. Remove embroidery from hoop. Using a warm iron, press finished embroidery. Insert embroidery into hoop, centering design and pulling fabric taut.
5. When all stitching is complete, turn the hoop over. Stitch a running stitch approximately 1-1/2″ outside the hoop in the fabric that extends past the hoop edges. Pull the thread to gather the fabric; knot the thread. Trim away the extra fabric approximately 1″ outside the gathered line.
6. If desired, cut a felt circle that is slightly smaller than the back of the embroidery hoop. Whipstitch the felt circle to the gathered fabric on the back side of the hoop.
Love this? “Like” us on Facebook to see more fun projects like this!