Contain spills, splatters, and drips from Fido’s feeding frenzy with a laminated fabric mat. The mat helps protect your floor from standing water, and it can add a fun decorative element in an unexpected place.
- 1/2 yard of cotton fabric
- 1 yard of Heat ‘n’ Bond Vinyl
- Fine-tip permanent marking pen
- Sewing machine
- Bone pattern (download it here)
Assemble the Mat:
1. Cut two 13×26″ rectangles each from the fabric and the vinyl. (You will have four rectangles total.)
2. Adhere a vinyl rectangle to a fabric rectangle using an iron and following manufacturer’s instructions. Repeat with remaining vinyl and fabric rectangles.
3. Print and cut out the bone pattern. Trace the shape onto each vinyl-covered rectangle using a fine-tip permanent marking pen; cut out.
4. With vinyl sides facing each other, sew together the bone shapes using a 1/4″ seam allowance and leaving a 3″ opening along one side.
5. Turn bone-shape mat right side out through the 3″ opening. Turn under opening seam allowance at the opening and hand-stitch it closed. Topstitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance around the place mat edges.
Did you make this craft? Share a pic of it on Instagram with the hashtag #MIYMagLife.