Designer: Kate Carter Frederick
Use nail polish to marbleize terra cotta pots for cute garden decor!
- Small terra-cotta pots
- Outdoor spar urethane
- Exterior primer/sealer (such as Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3)
- Shallow foil baking pan
- Nail polish in desired colors
SEAL THE POT
1. Brush a coat of spar urethane onto interior of the terra-cotta pot; let dry overnight. Repeat, adding two more coats of sealant and allowing drying time between coats.
2. Brush a coat of exterior primer/sealer onto the exterior of the pot; let dry.
EMBELLISH THE POT
1. Pour 2″ of water into a shallow foil baking pan. Working outdoors in a well-ventilated area, drizzle nail polish on top of the water to form a film of colorant. Add other colors of polish to the water’s surface.
2. Working quickly, roll a primed/sealed terra-cotta pot across the surface of the water, picking up the swirled colors. Let dry for 24 hours.