Design: Lisa Storm
Make your own decorations—for a party or just for fun—by transforming dyed paper doilies into pom-poms.
1. Gather materials: Large dish, paper doilies, paper towels, food coloring, glue stick, transparent nylon thread
2. Mix a thin layer of water with a few drops of food coloring. Drop a doily into the mixture for 10 seconds. Wear a pair of gloves to prevent staining your fingers.
3. Remove the doily from the dish and let it dry on a paper towel. Cover with a second paper towel and gently press to remove excess water. Lay flat to dry. Repeat with a minimum of eight doilies for each pom-pom.
4. Fold dry doilies in half.
5. Glue the backs of the doilies together in a stack.
6. Glue the stack’s front and back flaps together to form a ball. Fan out the pieces and use nylon thread to hang.